Janet Perlman has worked in the publishing field since the 1960’s as a book production editor, an editorial supervisor, and since 1989 as an indexer and owner of Southwest Indexing.
• M.A. in Management and Organizational Behavior, University of Phoenix
• B.S. in Chemistry, Queens College of the City of New York
• 7 years as editorial supervisor for John Wiley & Sons, Interscience Division, responsible for editorial production and indexing of multi-volume technical series such as Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Technology and Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, as well as trade books in chemistry and chemical engineering.
• 25+ years as an indexer.
American Society for Indexing
• Treasurer (2010-2016)
• Member, Hines Award Committee (2016)
• Awarded Hines Award for Exemplary Service to ASI (2006)
• Board of Directors (2009-2016)
• Chair, Wilson Award Committee (2004)
• Member, Nominating Committee (2004)
• Committee member and judge, Wilson Award for Excellence in Indexing (1996,1997, 2003-2005)
• Secretary and member of Executive Committee (1996-1998)
• Committee memberships and committee chair positions (1994-present)
• Co-founder, officer, and member of Arizona Chapter of ASI (1994-2002)
Arizona Book Publishers Association
Editorial Freelancers Association
Society for Technical Communicators, Senior Member
Speaking Engagements and Indexing Workshops
Janet has been a sought-after speaker at American Society for Indexing since the 1990’s, and has given numerous presentations to ASI chapters and at the ASI National Conference on indexing work methods, quality in indexing, and such business topics as marketing and writing proposals.
She has also given workshops on indexing and done peer review of indexes at the National Conference of the Society for Technical Communicators. Janet has also spoken on the need for book indexes to the Arizona Book Publishing Association.